An Inclusive Litany

11/14/94

A form used by Michael Hunter during training sessions for dormitory resident advisers and desk attendants at Montclair State University in Upper Montclair, New Jersey:
I, (name), hereby have permission to be imperfect with regards to homophobia and heterosexism. It is O.K. if I don't know all of the answers or if at times my ignorance and misunderstandings become obvious. I have permission to ask questions that appear stupid. I have permission to struggle with these issues and be up front and honest about my feelings. I am a product of this homophobic/heterosexist culture, and I am who I am. I don't have to feel guilty about what I know or believe, but I do need to take responsibility for what I can do now:

  • Trying to learn as much as I can.

  • Struggling to change my false/inaccurate beliefs or oppressive attitudes.

  • Learning what I can do to make a difference.