An Inclusive Litany

2/14/00

From the Republican presidential debate in Manchester, New Hampshire, January 26, 2000, an exchange concerning candidate Alan Keyes's impromptu acceptance of a dare, by professional annoyance Michael Moore, to body-surf a crowd.

George W. Bush:
What's it like to be in a mosh pit?
Alan Keyes:
It's a lot of fun, actually. I enjoyed it...
Bernard Shaw:
Mr. Bauer, for Mr. Keyes....
Gary Bauer:
Al, let me read a quote from you. You said that one of the most important things is the dignity of the presidency. In fact, you said that it's important that those of us that aspire to be president act not like guests on "The Jerry Springer Show," which is incompatible with the dignity of politics.... [N]obody made you jump in the mosh pit. Do you think that's consistent with...
Keyes:
Oh, that's very true.
Bauer:
...do you think that's consistent with the dignity of the presidency?
Keyes:
Well, I would leave that to the judgement of the American people. I do know that, when I got down, one of the folks who was there with one of the news crews looked at me and he said, "You know, you're the only person I've ever seen dive into a mosh pit and come out with his tie straight." And I think that—you know, the real test of dignity, the real test of dignity is how you carry it through hard times. I think I learned that from my people. We went through slavery when we didn't have the outward signs of what others would call dignity. Because we understood that dignity comes from within, and that whatever circumstance you are going through, you can carry that dignity with you and no one can take it away. So, I think you may have a misunderstanding of dignity. It doesn't come from what you do in a mosh pit. It comes from what you do as a result of the convictions of your heart. And I'll leave it to the American people to judge the convictions of my heart.

[Ed.: Keyes lost every election in which he participated.]