An Inclusive Litany

3/15/00

The San Diego Union-Tribune, March 15, 2000:
California Gov. Gray Davis, who earlier angered legislative leaders by saying their job is to "implement my vision," insisted yesterday that judges he appoints should "reflect the views I've expressed" or resign.

"I've let every judge know that, while they have to follow the law ... they're there because I appointed them, and they need to keep faith with my electoral mandate," said Davis, who was in Washington for the National Governor's Association conference....

"All my appointees, including judges, have to, more or less, reflect the views I've expressed in my election," he said. "Otherwise, democracy doesn't work...."

Pressed on the issue, Davis said: "My appointees should reflect my views. They are not there to be independent agents. They're there to reflect the sentiments that I expressed in the campaign...."

"Judges obviously have to follow the law," he said. "But in interpreting the law, I expect then to keep faith with the representations I made to the electorate...."