An Inclusive Litany

3/21/94

The Syracuse New Times, January 16-26, 1994:
It's the most wonderful time of the year—for seeing hundreds of Christmas trees laying on the side of the road.

Gee, I know they look beautiful decorated for the holidays. I also know how fragrant a fresh cut tree can be. I know they are raised on a farm just for the purpose of being used as temporary decor. I know that in Onondaga County there are fantastic options for disposal of a live tree, like collections at local malls or having it made into mulch for your garden. I have read an article about using a disposed Christmas tree as "shelter" in your yard for wildlife.

I know that using a live tree with roots involves extra work and less time that the tree can actually be kept in the house. I know that an artificial tree lacks the je ne sais quoi of a live tree. I also know that this world needs all the trees we can get and that it takes years for a tree to reach 5 or 6 feet.

I know that "tradition" is not a good reason for this mass waste of a natural resource. What I don't know is, why am I the only one who seems upset? Because even if they plant two trees for every one they cut, it still is a waste for a beautifully healthy tree to be cut down, decorated, then discarded after a week or so. The worse [sic] part is that naturalists, environmentalists and outdoors people are the worse [sic] offenders; they often do the tree cutting themselves as an annual ritual.

Anyone else bothered by all this?