An Inclusive Litany

9/1/91

Sandra Wong, in the July 1991 Monthly Planet, a publication of the Santa Cruz County Nuclear Weapons Freeze:
I am writing this letter because I believe the time has come for women as a gender to fully take on equal rights and also take some of the blame for the current water crisis that has been a part of our daily lives for the last five years. Many people, in fact most people who read this, will think that I am off my rocker, but if you will bear with me (males), and if you try this (females), we will save untold gallons of water, expedite the process and create a more sanitary environment.

What I am talking about is the fact that every time a woman uses the restroom she flushes the toilet using between five and eight gallons of water as opposed to every time a man uses a urinal he uses only a gallon or two. What I am proposing is that women begin using the urinals that are already equipped in the dual-sex restrooms in restaurants, nightclubs, school dormitories and other places where they might be found, and that the private sector begin installing them in existing female restrooms.

The majority of the population feels that this is absolutely impossible, a female standing to urinate, but in reality, it is a rather easy thing to do. Almost every woman on earth at some time has wished she could accomplish this. I, myself, have been doing it since my mother taught it to me as an alternative to "hovering" when I was about five years old. You do not need devices such as a funnel and no artificial prosthetic apparatus either. Your God-given anatomy is all you need.