An Inclusive Litany

5/11/92

A message from Spike Lee, left on the answering machine of an editor of the Campus Life section of The New York Times, who, in an article about a course that Lee was teaching that semester at Harvard, incorrectly stated that Lee "does not have a college degree":
This is Spike Lee. How you doing? Look, how in the hell are you going to write some bulls*** that I don't have a f***ing college degree? I got a f***ing master's from New York University and an undergraduate degree from Morehouse College. How's the f***ing New York Times gonna write some bulls*** that I don't have a f***ing college degree? You know you motherf***ers ought to do some f***ing research or whatever you call that s*** before you write some f***ing bulls***, all right? I got a f***ing master of fine arts from f***ing NYU. I want a motherf***ing retraction. All right, motherf***er?