An Inclusive Litany

4/2/01

Hymnals used in many churches now feature a modified version of what is perhaps the English-speaking world's best-known hymn:
Amazing Grace! How sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me;
I once was lost, but now am found
Was blind, but now I see.
In the new version, the second line reads:
That saved and strengthened me
The following is a 1997 St. Louis Post-Dispatch account of machinations that preceded the change:
"I fought hard in our committee that we needed to keep [the word wretch] because that is how the author [John Newton] felt about himself, a former captain of a slave ship," said the Rev. Dr. David P. Polk, project editor of the 1995 Chalice Hymnal.... The "anti-wretch" flank on his committee "wanted to get away from the kinds of expression in hymns that regarded human beings as lowly, worthless, with low or no self-esteem."