An Inclusive Litany

2/27/93

A letter sent to Maria Dillon, a hostess at an Italian restaurant in Chicago, by Frank D. Zaffere III, a Chicago lawyer:
Dear Maria:

This notice—given on the two-month anniversary of the date when you broke your promise to marry me, and six days prior to the date we were to be married—is provided to you in accordance with the provisions of the Illinois Breach of Promise Act. As required by that section, please be advised as follows:

  1. I asked for your hand in marriage, and you agreed to marry me, on November 2, 1991. I proposed to you, and you accepted my proposal, at the Pump Room in Chicago. At the time of our engagement, I placed upon your finger, and you accepted, a 1.06-carat diamond engagement ring.,

  2. The date for our marriage ceremony, set by you, was August 9, 1992.

  3. As a result of your breach of your promise to marry me, I have suffered significant actual damages, in excess of $40,000, relating to monies expended and financial accommodations made by me for your care, welfare, and happiness, in each case in reliance upon your promise of marriage. My expenditures and financial accommodations for you included, without limitation: (a) your living allowance; (b) medical and dental treatment; (c) vacations; (d) entertainment; (e) clothing; and (f) jewelry.

  4. I am still willing to marry you on the following conditions: (1) we proceed with our marriage within forty-five days of the date of this letter; (2) you confirm to me in a solemn oath (which will be private between us) that you have been since August 3, 1991, and will forever be, faithful to me; (3) you promise in a solemn oath (which will be private between us) that you will never lie to me again about anything; (4) you agree in a solemn oath (which will be private between us) that you will use your best efforts to resolve and reconcile all differences between you and my daughter, Althea (subject, of course, to her willingness to engage in a meaningful dialogue with you).

Please feel free to call me if you have any questions or would like to discuss any of the matters addressed herein.

Sincerely,
Frank D. Zaffere III