An Inclusive Litany

1/1/92

Margie Boule in the Portland Oregonian, October 24, 1991:
"Everyone's so concerned about attractive women being hit on and offered all these jobs in exchange for sexual favors," said a friend, who brought this subject to my attention. "But what about the unattractive women? The other side is being completely ignored.

"For every job that was offered an attractive woman, there may have been a plain woman who was overlooked who was qualified for the job."

I've spent weeks listening to women share painful memories of being hit on by bosses and co-workers. I sympathize. I empathize.

But I never even glanced at the other side of the coin. All along, unattractive women have been paying a high price because they weren't the targets of sexual advances. They were, however, being discriminated against.

[Ed.: Yes, unattractive women who are not targets of sexual harassment may still be the victims of discrimination.]