An Inclusive Litany
The attendance fraud was discovered only when a civil rights group sued the state, charging that minority children in New York City were being educationally shortchanged. When the state thoroughly investigated the claim, it turned out the schools were receiving more taxpayer dollars—perhaps as much as $100 million a year—than they were legally entitled to.
The foreman of an Irish highway project will face the fierce wrath of local fairies if his team cuts down a white-blossomed hawthorn bush in their construction path, according to local folklore authorities.
The 15-foot-high bush, they say, is home to some easily angered fairies.
Rather than tempt fate, construction crews have already rerouted other highways in 150 locations around Ireland that are said to be home to fairies.
They did not understand that the woman screaming in Helsinki was not doing so out of crazy joy. She held her collapsed father while an outdoor symphony played into the freezing night. He clutched his chest, unaware that the tiny chip inside his pacemaker had stopped functioning when 2000 arrived. An ambulance might have shown up to help, but Helsinki's emergency dispatch system was dead. Newer model ambulances would not start. Hospitals lost power. A few people gathered to help the woman and her poor father, but they could do little for a stopped pacemaker. Crowds nearby continued feasting on reindeer steaks....
Yuh as a rezedent, ave di rights ahn di rispansabilities to elp mek yuh HUD-assisted owzing ah behta owme fi yuh ahn yuh fambily. Dis brochure briefly liss some ahf yuh muos impowtant right ahn rispansabilities fi elp yuh get di muos owt ah yuh owme.
- Di right fi get reasonable notice, in writing fi ehni non-imergency inspeckshan aur ehni ahdah entry inna yuh apawtment.
- Di right fi puoss materials in cammon areas fi infawm ahdah rezedents bout dem rights ahn also about apportunities ahf ow dem caan invalve demself in deir projeks.
- Di rights fi recognition by prahpaty ownas ahn manigahs as smady dat ave a seh in rezedenshal community affairs.
- Di right fi egual ahn fair treatment widowt regard to colour, religion, gendah, disability, familial status, national origin, aur age.
- Payin de carrek amount a rent pan a timely basis everi muhnt.
- Conduktin yuhself in a mannah dat wuhduhn disturb yuh neighbahs.
- Nat engagin in criminal aktivity inna di unit, common areas, aur grouns. Fi kyp yuh unit clean ahn nat littaryn di grouns aur common areas.
- Fi comply wid local kwodes dat affek de ehlt aur safety ahf di rezedence.
As ah pawt ahfits dedication fi maintain di bes pawsible living enviornment fi all rezedents, yuh HUD field affice encourage ahn suppowts:
- Promt considerashan ahn resalushan ahf rezedent complaints by ownas ahn manigahs.
- Rezedent auganizashan ahn pawticipashan in decishans regawding di apawtment building dat ahfek di well-being ahf yuh owme.
If yuh belive dat yuh ave suffahd from discriminashan aur whud like more infahmashan, call 1-800-669-9777 aur cawl yuh lowkal HUD affice ahf Fair Owzing ahn Equal Appatunity.
[Ed.: The pamphlet also includes an introductory statement by the Secretary of Housing and Urban Development, "Sekretary Andrew M. Cuomo fella."]